the 12 most common styles of explainer videos
- 1:31 am, Posted by Kylie Risson
1. 2d cartoon animationThis style is one of the most popular and broadly used styles of all. 2D animation is where characters and scenes are created in a 2D space and works by portraying graphics and perspective to give the illusion of depth. A 2D style animation is great for a lot of B2B and B2C companies of any size. This style has the power to be evocative and thought provoking, whilst being easily shared.
2. 3d cartoon animationThere are some specialist studios that focus on 3D animation. This type of explainer video is sure to stand out against the competition but will cost you more money. Generally, 3D is effective for commercial purposes due to its high quality and endless possibilities.
3. live actionA live action video is recorded with a video camera and real people. It will take time and more hands-on-deck than a regular animated explainer video as it needs behind-the-scenes crew members, actors, cameramen, editors, and more. A live action video is often the best fit for companies seeking to build a personal and long-lasting relationship between themselves and potential customers. By showing people in real life scenarios, potential consumers can more readily see themselves in the actor’s shoes.
4. live action with track elementsThis is a culmination of live action video with elements of animated motion graphics incorporated into the frame. This can be effective as it brings an element of surprise to the viewer.
5. whiteboardThe whiteboard style of explainer videos consists of drawing simple illustrations on a whiteboard. They can be an unusual but simple way to promote a brand, product, or service. Many B2B or B2C companies prefer the whiteboard style as it can easily and effectively promote fairly simple systems or programs, or explain a concept with all elements illustrated for the viewer to see.
6. typographyBased in animation, this style uses animated text to express a certain idea or concept. The videos may seem relatively simple, however they can be quite creative. The sky is the limit when it comes to typography explainer videos.
7. screencastA screen cast video works effectively as a ‘how-to’ or tutorial videos. This style of explainer video works particularly well for B2B or B2C companies with often complex software or programs that may need further clarification before consumers embark on the software or program themselves. Similarly, this style is often used by start-ups, as they are low cost alternatives. A screen cast is a digital recording of a screen capture that often incorporates audio narration. There are thousands of these types of explainer videos on YouTube done by amateurs to explain software with complex elements such as Excel and PowerPoint.
8. motion graphicsEssentially, motion graphics work to as graphic elements with movement. They use the power of colour and shapes along with movement to create and portray complex messages. These types of videos are particularly engaging for B2B companies, with bigger national or international profiles as they can be a great way to explain complex or abstract processes, ideas, and concepts.
9. infographicAn infographic style of explainer video uses fluid motion that focuses on telling facts, numbers, images, text, and statistics to attract viewers and potential customers. The video focuses on transitions and seamless storytelling from one fact frame to the next. This type of video is used for many larger companies that place importance of big data, financial data, and figures.
10. testimonialThis one is pretty self-explanatory. Testimonials explainer or corproate videos consist of either real-life or animated clips that use real-life statements from real-life customers to explain to potential customers the advantages of using the product or service. Testimonial videos are generally well received as potential customers can garner a large amount of trust from past/present customers.
11. augmented realityAugmented reality videos are rarely used however they can be unusual and creative ways to demonstrate societies changing relationship and interaction with technology. Augmented reality videos are a futuristic approach to your typical B2B and B2C film productions.
12. mixedAll of the above can be combined to appeal to the viewer. For example, live action videos can be combined with testimonials to appeal to future customers that may be doubtful about the effectiveness and quality of the product or service the video has been designed for. With our years of experience and knowledge across a variety of industries, Lumeo have a great understanding of the type of video from the list above that will work best for your business. We will work with you to create an effective explainer video that meets your specifications, budget, and time requirements.
DO YOU NEED A QUOTE?
Just give us a few details, and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.get a quote