11 tips on how to improve seo with web video
- 11:01 pm, Posted by Andrew D
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth, and 50% more than last year
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network
11 tips on how to improve seo with web videoSo you’ve got a video on your website… Great. Now what? Well, like a good webpage, you should be optimising the video to give it every possible opportunity of being ranked by Google, and watched by an audience outside of your website. Following a few simple rules when uploading a video to YouTube or other video platforms can see your videos climb to the top of YouTube and Google search results and improve brand awareness without costing you a cent. If you want to improve your businesses web presence with the help of web video, get into contact with the team at Lumeo today. Try these 11 tips for improving your web video SEO:
1. give your video a strong titleHumans are intricately lazy. Choose a title that gets straight to the point of the video in six words or less. Using a relevant title for your video that includes specific keywords can improve search engine visibility while also prompting the reader to watch and share your video.
2. write an engaging descriptionYour video description will either encourage a reader to watch on or drive them elsewhere. It will also be indexed by Google so make sure it’s descriptive and includes a hyperlink back to your website, without being over-complicated or long-winded.
3. use keywords in the file nameEven if viewers can’t see your file name, search engines can. By uploading your video with a keyword heavy file name, you improve your SEO. This is probably the single easiest way to improve SEO with web video so please don’t label your web video: MOV001.
4. use keywords when tagging your videoWhen tagging your video, include all possibly relevant information in the tags. Additionally, pay attention to the tags on other videos that are similar to yours. By using the same tags, you’ll show up as a related video when viewers watch that clip, increasing the likelihood they will click through to yours. Key phrases and keywords will help search engines find and place your video. SEO needs to be focused on your brand and tags help to drive customers to your website. Using general as well as specific keywords and tags will help your website rating on search engines.
5. create a youtube channelVideos associated with active YouTube Channels, like articles on active blogs, rank better in terms of SEO. This type of listing allows each video’s data to be enriched by the surrounding data. But don’t be fooled into adding lots of irrelevant videos – unrelated information may decrease the usefulness of any SEO data on that page.
6. upload hd video instead of sdHigh definition videos consistently rank higher than standard videos in searches. Part of the reason for this is that HD videos are a bigger investment, so people put more effort into them. Combining high quality content with high quality video is a sure way to improve your search hits.
7. use closed captions and provide transcriptsBy captioning and transcribing your videos, you not only increase the accessibility of your video for wider audiences, you also increase the amount of data available for search terms. Searches will in fact search within the closed captioning on your video, a little known fact. A transcript in the description will also figure in the search results.
8. use back linksWherever you post your video, you should include links which can lead the potential customer back to your website. For example, include links back to your website within the video description when uploading to various video platforms. Using links allow customers to access specific areas of your website. Using video as a portal to your site sparks interest and in turn nurtures the intrigue of potential customers to further investigate your website.
9. syndicateSubmit your videos to various RSS feeds. This is all about gaining exposure to your video by placing your video in likely to be seen locations. And if you’re making regular web videos, create an RSS feed for your own videos so that your customers and stakeholders can easy stay abreast of your latest video releases.
10. video sitemaps = better search engine indexingIf you have video on your website and it is embedded there from YouTube, Vimeo or another video platform, then you need a Google Video Sitemap. The importance of this is hard to understate. If you wish to really drive traffic to your website, and improve SEO with web video, then a Google Video Sitemap is essential. A Google Video Sitemap provides Google with details about all the videos on your site and redirects visitors to your website instead of directing people to YouTube of similar platforms. This is a big benefit. We already know that Google ranks video highly, so instead of directing all that would-be traffic to YouTube, make sure Google is instead sending them to your website with a Google Video Sitemap.
11. go socialWe already know word-of-mouth is the most trusted and effective communications method available. So facilitate your customer’s innate desire to share good stuff and let them do the marketing for you. Upload your video onto your social networking websites and ensure your videos on your website has sharing widgets attached, allowing your audience to easily spread your videos amongst their network.
conclusionWe hope you enjoyed these quick tips on how to improve SEO with web video. Following these simple steps should ensure your online video not only communicates effectively with your audience, but also improves your overall SEO strategy.
DO YOU NEED A QUOTE?
Just give us a few details, and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.get a quote